College, 1973 Valedictorian
Teaching Fellow, Freshman Composition, UCLA
RECENT PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
Critical Introduction and Annotations: The Pilgrim’s Regress by C. S. Lewis: The Wade Center Annotated Edition. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans, September 2014. Forthcoming.
Invited contributor: Foreword, Ten Books that Shaped C. S. Lewis. Ed. by David Werther. Bloomsbury Press, 2014. Forthcoming.
Invited contributor: “C. S. Lewis as Spiritual Mentor.” In The C. S. Lewis Legacy. Ed. by Bruce Johnson. Sehnsucht Press, 2014. Forthcoming.
Essay: “Beauty is in the ‘I’ of the Beholder.” In C. S. Lewis and the Arts. Ed. by Rod Miller. Square Halo Press, 2013.
Plenary speaker: “Journey to Joy: C. S. Lewis and The Pilgrim’s Regress.” F. W. Ewbank Colloquium, Taylor University, June 2012.
Book chapter: “Dantean Echoes in A Grief Observed,” in The Inklings: Questions of Identity (Cambridge Scholars Press, 2012).
Article: “C. S. Lewis’s Easley Fragment and his Unfinished Journey,” Seven: An Anglo-American Review, October 2011.
Invited speaker and book signing: “Portraits of Dissent in the Confederacy,” The American Civil War Museum at Historic Tredegar, Richmond, VA, September 10, 2011.
Presentation: “A Grief Obscured: Understanding C. S. Lewis’s
Experiences of Bereavement and Hope.”
University of Lille, France. June 2011.
Seminar leader: “C. S. Lewis as Fiction Writer.” Weeklong seminar. Regent College, Vancouver, B. C. July 2011.
Book: Looking for the King: An Inklings Novel (San Francisco: Ignatius
Press, November 2010).
· “A superbly gripping novel.” Joseph Pearce, St. Austin Review
Narnia film reviews online:
Booksigning: A South Divided: Portraits of Dissent in the Confederacy.
Gettysburg National Park Battlefield Museum, June 27, 2009.
Stories: “A Feast of Reason and a Flow of Soul: A Cycle of Inklings
Stories.’ CSL: The Bulletin of the C. S. Lewis Society (March 2009-December 2009).
Blog: C. S. Lewis.com, a website sponsored by Harper Collins.
” April 2011
· “The Art of the Thank You Note” December 2010
· “How C. S. Lewis ‘Prefutes’ Stephen Hawking” Sept 2010
· “The Sound and Savor of Words” July 2010
· “A Mentor by Mail” January 2010
· “A Picture-Perfect Look at the Inklings’ Oxford” July 2009
· “Parables for Pilgrims” November 2008
· “Prince Caspian: Dialog in the Lobby” May 2008
· “Making Righteousness Readable” March 2008
· “Word-pictures for the Word Made Flesh” November 2007
Invited speaker and book-signing: "Dissidents in the Confederacy”
Book: A South Divided: Portraits of Dissent in the Confederacy (Nashville: Cumberland House, 2007).
· Nominated for the Lincoln Prize, sponsored by the Civil War Institute, Gettysburg College
· “A fascinating and long-overdue book.” Tyler Tichelaar (Civil War novelist) in Reader Views
· “A thoroughly engrossing ‘must-read’ contribution to Civil War history shelves.” Midwest Book Review
· “Not just another Civil War book. Read and enjoy.” Civil War News
Book chapters: “Rehabilitating H. G. Wells: Out of the Silent Planet”; “Perelandra: A Tale of Paradise Retained”; “That Hideous Strength: Spiritual Wickedness in High Places.” In C. S. Lewis: Life, Works, and Legacy. Ed. by Bruce L. Edwards. Westport, CT: Praeger Publishing, 2007.
Essay: “Bedtime Stories and Lifetime Stories.” In The Lion and the Land of Narnia. Ed. by Robert Cording (Eugene, OR: Harvest House, 2008).
Article: “C. S. Lewis and the Region of Awe,” Conversations: A Forum for Authentic Transformation. Vol. 6:1 (Summer 2008), 64-68.
Invited speaker and booksigning: "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: The Book and the Film,"
Interview/podcasts: "The Spiritual Journey of C. S. Lewis" and "C. S. Lewis and the Narnia Chronicles."
Two half-hour radio interview/podcasts with Brent Siddall of Trans World Radio in London. April 2007.
Book: Into the Wardrobe: C. S. Lewis and the Narnia Chronicles. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2005.
· Recommended as one of the Top Ten Books of the Year on C. S. Lewis in Christianity Today.
· Reviews or author interviews in U. S. News & World Report, Christian Century, Chicago Tribune, Washington Times, San Antonio Express-News, Baltimore Sun, Orlando Sentinel, Library Journal, Publishers Weekly, Calgary Herald, Toronto Globe & Mail, and dozens of local and regional newspapers and journals.
Sample Chapter: “What’s in a Narnian Name?”
Book: Into the Region of Awe: Mysticism in C. S. Lewis. Chicago, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2005.
Sample Chapter: “Christian Mysticism as Lewis Knew It”
Book: The Most Reluctant Convert: C. S. Lewis's Journey to
Sample chapter: “Finding Truth in the Old Beliefs”
Book chapter: "Science Fiction," Reading the Classics with C. S. Lewis, ed. by Thomas L. Martin. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book, 2000.
Article: "From Ogre to Buffoon: Uncle
Andrew in Magician's Nephew
Article: "'The Torch of Civilization':
C. S. Lewis on War and Peace."
Article: "'The Dungeon of His Soul':
Lewis's Unfinished 'Quest of
Article: "The Discarded Mage: Lewis
the Scholar-Novelist on Merlin's
Article: "From Pillar to
Post-modernism: C. S. Lewis and Current
Essays: "The Way We
Word." (Column on curious names and word
Copyright © 2014 Elizabethtown College All Rights Reserved