TAMARA GILLIS, Ed.D., ABC
Professor of Communications
Office: (717) 361-1386
(This is an abridged document. For a full CV contact Dr. Tamara Gillis.)
The immediate past chairman of the Department of Communications, I've been a member of the faculty at Elizabethtown College since 1994. I served as chairman of the department from 2001 to 2006 and again in 2008. I advise the student IABC chapter. I teach courses in public relations, organizational communication, journalism, and communication research.
Since working at Elizabethtown College, I have had the opportunity to serve as faculty in Swaziland, Namibia, and the Semester at Sea international educational exchange program. Research projects have led me to Namibia, Ecuador, Russia, Swaziland, and a number of other countries. My research in change management has included work with the CAO of the U.S. House of Representatives, small companies, private schools and county governments.
Prior to joining the faculty of Elizabethtown (Pa.) College, I taught communications courses in an adjunct capacity while serving as public relations director for organizations ranging from health care facilities to professional associations and colleges. My professional communication experience includes such titles as public relations director, communication consultant, staff writer and editor.
Education and Accreditation:
ABC, Accredited Business Communicator, IABC, December 1997
Ed.D., School of Education, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, 1997. Dissertation: "Change Agency and Public Relations Officers in Small Colleges and Universities."
M.S., Communications Studies, Shippensburg University, Shippensburg, PA, 1988.
B.A., English, Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania, December 1983.
Current Professional Affiliations:
International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) Research Foundation
International Association of Business Communicators (IABC), 1986 - Present
- Member, Research Committee, IABC Research Foundation 2001-04, 2006-present
- Leader/Lead Judge, IABC Research Foundation Call for Papers Program 2002-03, 2003-04
- Member, IABC Research Foundation Think Tank 2002 & 2003
- Past Chairman of IABC Research Foundation, 2002-03
- Chairman of IABC Research Foundation, 2001-2002
- Vice Chairman of IABC Research Foundation, 2000-2001
- RFP Committee member, IABC Research Foundation, 2000-2003
- IABC Research Foundation Think Tank Chairperson, 1999-2000.
- Trustee of IABC (International) Foundation Board, 1998-99
Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, member 1997-present.
- Chairman, Accreditation Advisory Panel, IABC Accreditation Council, 2009
- Judge, Select Panel of Judges, 2008 Silver Quill Competition, IABC Heritage Region, 2008.
- Co-chairman, 2008 (first) IABC Student Conference, Hartford, Conn.
- Co-facilitator, Accreditation Preparation Program, IABC Harrisburg, 2007.
- Accreditation Council, since 2005: ABC (Accredited Business Communicator) Accreditation Examiner, since 2005; Member Examination Development Task Force, 2007-2008.
- Contributing Editor, Communication World Magazine, March 2003 - June 2004
- Member, IABC Student Advisory Committee, 2002-03, 2003-04
- Member, 500 Club, since 2001
- Member, Program Advisory Committee to the 2002 IABC Conference
- IABC U.S. District 3 Past Director, 1999-2000
- Member of IABC (International) Executive Board, 1998-99, 2001-2002
- Member of IABC (International) Executive Committee, 1998-99, 2001-2002
- IABC U.S. District 3 Director, 1998-99
- Member of 1997 IABC (International) Chapter Mentor Corps
- Member of 1997 IABC (International) Organizational Effectiveness Team
- IABC U.S. District 3 Winnerıs Circle Award Planning Committee, member 1997
- IABC U.S. District 3 Deputy Director, 1997-98
- IABC U.S. District 3 1996 Conference Coordinator
- IABC U.S. District 3 Assistant Director of Internal Operations, 1995-96
- IABC U.S. District 3 Chairman of Members-at-Large Activities, 1993-1995 & 1996-1997
- IABC/Harrisburg Chapter Vice President of Student Involvement - 1998
- IABC/Harrisburg Chapter National Delegate, District 3, 1990 - 1992
- IABC/Harrisburg Chapter Vice-President of Student Involvement - 1991 & 1992
- Judge, Small Programs Interest Group, GIFT (Great Ideas for Teachers) Program,
2006 &2009 AEJMC Annual Conferences
- Reviewer, International Communication Division, 2008, 2009 AEJMC Annual Conference.
- Reviewer, Media Ethics Division, 2008, 2009 AEMJC Annual Conference.
- Reviewer, Visual Communication Division, 2007 AEJMC Annual Conference. Conference Logo Competition Reviewer, 2007, 2008.
- Reviewer, Newspapers Division, 2004, 2006 AEJMC Annual Conferences.
- Newsletter Editor, Small Programs Interest Group, 1998-2000.
Member and Newsletter Editor, Small Programs Interest Group, AEJMC, 1998-2000.
International Communication Association, member since 1999.
- Reviewer, Public Relations Division, 2003-2007 ICA Annual Conferences
- Reviewer, Conference Theme Sessions, 2007 annual conference
Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association, member 1996-98.
Northeastern Popular Culture and American Culture Association, 2001-2002
Mechanicsburg Chamber of Commerce, since 2004
- Leadership roles: Vice President, 2007; President, 2008, Past President 2009.
- Elected to Board of Directors, 2005.
- Member and volunteer since 2004.
- Foot Traffic Group (downtown merchants) volunteer since 2003
Recent Research and Publications (Published/Presented): (Please request a CV.)
Gillis, T.L. (Nov/Dec, 2007). Behind the numbers: Follow-up surveys and discussions shed light on the results of IABC's Profile salary study, Communication World, 16-17.
Gillis, T.L. (Sep/Oct, 2007). Dollars and sense: IABC's profile survey finds majority of members satisfied with their jobs and earning more, Communication World, 35-37.
Gillis, T.L. (Sep/Oct, 2007). Employee communication is no small wonder, Communication World, 28-29.
Gillis, T.L. (March, 2007). Public Art in Corporate Spaces: Enhancing Corporate Environments and Employee Engagement, International Journal of the Arts in Society, Theme: Arts of Engagement.
Gillis, T.L. & Donovan, D. (March, 2007). Ballroom to Boardroom: Interpersonal Communication and Interactive Performance Dimensions of Social Learning Environments, International Journal of the Arts in Society, Theme: Arts of Engagement.
Books and Book Chapters
Gillis, T.L. (2009). Managing the virtual workforce, in H. Bidgoli's "Handbook of Technology Management (3 volume set)," John Wiley & Sons: San Francisco.
Gillis, T.L. and Finney, J. (2008). Essentials of Employee Communication: Building relationships that create business success, San Francisco: IABC Knowledge Centre.
Gillis, T.L. (2008). The Human Element: Employee Communication Practices in Small Businesses, San Francisco: IABC Research Foundation.
Gillis, T.L. (2006). Instructor's Guide to "The IABC Handbook of Organizational Communication," San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Gillis, T.L. (Ed.), (2006). The IABC Handbook of Organizational Communication: A guide to internal communication, public relations, marketing and leadership, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Gillis, T.L. (2006). Internal Communications Media.In T.L. Gillis (Ed.) The IABC Handbook of Organizational Communication, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Conference Presentations (Refereed/Juried Acceptances)
Gillis, T.L. & Johnson, K.A. (Oct. 17, 2009). Building and Strengthening Community Connections through a Citizen Journalism Website: Lessons Learned in the Second Year of We-town.com, 70th Annual Pennsylvania Communication Association Conference: 70 Years of Communicating in Neighborhoods Near and Far, St. Vincent College, Latrobe, PA.
Gillis, T.L. (Aug. 7, 2009). Corporate Communication Competencies and Expectations at Multiple Levels of Professional Maturity, 2009 AEJMC Annual Conference, PR Division, Boston.
Gillis, T.L. & Johnson, K.A. (Oct. 9, 2008). Teaching convergent journalism through the use of a citizen journalism web site, Newsplex Conference, Converence and Society: The Participatory Web, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC.
Gillis, T.L. (Aug. 6, 2008). Ethics Lessons Plan: Megan's Law on Campus, GIFT Program, 2008 AEJMC Annual Conference, Chicago.
Gillis, T.L., Johnson, K.A. & Tillberg-Webb, H. (Aug. 7, 2008). Developing a citizen journalism site at a small college: Lesson learned as we launch We-town.com, 2008 AEJMC Annual Conference, Chicago.
Gillis, T.L. (Feb. 2008). Corporate Art as Communication, Cultural and Critical Studies Division Panel, 2008 AEJMC Mid-winter Conference, Pittsburgh.
Gillis, T.L. (August 9, 2007). "Let's Play Ball" Best Practices in the Teaching of Ethics Panel, sponsored by the Elected Committee on Teaching, 2007 AEJMC Annual Conference, Washington, D.C. Second place award winning entry.
Gillis, T.L. (August 15-18, 2006). Public Art in Corporate Spaces: Enhancing Corporate Environments and Employee Engagement, accepted for presentation and publication in conference proceedings journal, 2006 International Conference on the Arts in Society: Arts of Engagement, Edinburgh, Scotland.
Gillis, T.L. & Donovan, D. (August 15-18, 2006). Ballroom to Boardroom: Interpersonal Communication and Interactive Performance Dimensions of Social Learning Environments, accepted for presentation and publication in conference proceedings journal, 2006 International Conference on the Arts in Society: Arts of Engagement, Edinburgh, Scotland.
Gillis, T.L. & Moore, R.C. (July 17-20, 2006). Managing Curriculum Development: Designing for Success, 2006 Association for the Study of Evaluation and Assessment in Southern Africa, Johannesburg, South Africa.
Gillis, T.L. & Moore, R.C. (July 17-20, 2006). Using the Capstone Course as a Tool of Assessment in Achieving Curriculum Outcomes, 2006 Association for the Study of Evaluation and Assessment in Southern Africa, Johannesburg, South Africa.
Invited/Guest Research Presentations
Gillis, T.L. (Feb. 2009). 13 Axioms for Surviving Interesting Times, International Keynote Address, Strategic Internal Communication conference, Melbourne, Australia.
Gillis, T.L. (Feb. 2009). Secrets of Employee Productivity and Engagement Learned from Sall Businesses, Half-day Workshop, Strategic Internal Communication conference, Melbourne, Australia.
Gillis, T.L. (Nov. 13, 2008). Public Art Respondent to David Lembeck's presentation New Deal Post Office Murals on Pennsylvania, Elizabethtown College.
Gillis, T.L. (November 14, 2007)."Employee Communication in Small Businesses" and"All Companies Big and Small: Employee Communication Planning, Implementation and Measurement," IABC/Orlando Chapter meeting and fall workshop, respectively.
Gillis, T.L. & Donovan, D. (March 1, 2006). Faculty Forum (Wednesday at 11): "Ballroom to Boardroom: Applying Interpersonal Communication and Interactive Performance Dimensions to a Social Learning Environment."
Gillis, T.L. (April 6, 2005). "The Challenge of Change," Spring 2005 Faculty Forums, Elizabethtown College. This presentation reviewed a change management initiative for the U.S. House of Representatives for which I was a principal researcher.
Recent Service Presentations/Projects: (Please request a CV.)
Presenter, Organizational Communication and Its Role in Successful Organizational Change, Department of Transport, Division of Internal Communication, Victoria, Melbourne, Australia, February, 2009.
Facilitator, Student Think Tank Session, 2008 IABC Heritage Region Conference, Hartford, Conn., October 2008.
Presenter, "Features Tell, Benefits Sell: Target Marketing to Women." A presentation to the Lancaster Chamber of Commerce Women in Business Program, July 19, 2007.
Participant/Mock Reporter, Three Mile Island/NRC/PEMA Graded Crisis Drill Exercise, Joint Public Information Center, Harrisburg, PA, April 17, 2007.
Presenter, Who Wants My Job? A panel presentation on jobs for future communicators, IABC Heritage Region 2006 Conference, co-presenters with Barbara Puffer, ABC, of Puffer PR Strategies, Guilford, Connecticut, and Pat Valdata of Cloudstreet Communications, Elkton, Maryland, Washington, D.C., October 9, 2006.
Volunteer, One-of-a-kind Art Auction, Habitat for Humanity, Harrisburg/Central PA Chapter, Zembo Shrine, Harrisburg, PA, March 4, 2006.
Roundtable Facilitator, Student Chapter Development, Leader Institute of IABC, Charlotte, NC, February 25, 2006.
Presenter, Student Chapter Development: The Young and the Restless, Leader Institute of IABC, co-presenter with Dan Dillon, Cerner Corporation of Kansas City, Charlotte, NC, February 24, 2006.
Collaborative Interdisciplinary Scholarship Program Grant, Converged Media Site (Moving the Communications Capstone Experience to the Cutting Edge to Improve Student Performance and Opportunities for Advancement), 2007-08.
Exceptional Performance Award, Elizabethtown College, 2004, 2006, 2008.
2004 Foundation Lifetime Friend Award, IABC Research Foundation.
Measurement Maven for February, by K.D. Paine & Partners. The Measurement Standard, v. 1, n 12, February 27, 2003. Available online: http://www.themeasurementstandard.com.
Rex Mix Award for Programs of Excellence, National Communication Association, November, 2003.
Return to Tamara Gillis' homepage