General research interests
- Types of Intuition
- Creativity in College
- Implicit Cognition
- Development of the Types of Intuition Questionnaire (collaboration with Jeff Brookings, Wittenberg)
- The Interaction of Strategy and Complexity in the Balance Scale Task (collaboration with Corinne Zimmerman, Illinois State University)
- Intuition and Expertise in Nursing (collaboration with Vickie Folse, IWU School of Nursing)
- Decision Making in Occupational Therapy (collaboration with Tam Humbert, Elizabethtown Department of Occupational Therapy)
- Creativity in College Admissions (collaboration with James C. Kaufman, CSU San Bernardino)
- Development of Creativity in Arts and Sciences Majors (collaboration with Paul Silvia, UNC Greensboro and James C. Kaufman, CSU San Bernardino)
- The Creative Task Creator (a program for creating customized, web-based creativity tasks)
- Individual Differences in Implicit Cognition (collaboration with Scott Barry Kaufman, New York University)
(Selected papers available for download here.)
- Pretz, J.E., & Folse, V.N. (in press). Nursing experience and preference for intuition in decision making. Journal of Clinical Nursing.
- Pretz, J.E., & Zimmerman, C. (2009). When the goal gets in the way: The interaction of goal specificity and task difficulty. Thinking and Reasoning, 15(4), 405-430.
- Silvia, P.J., Kaufman, J.C., & Pretz, J.E. (2009). Is creativity domain-specific? Latent class models of creative accomplishments and creative self-descriptions. Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts, 3, 139-148.
- Pretz, J.E., & Link, J.A. (2008). The Creative Task Creator. A tool for the generation of customized, web-based creativity tasks. Behavior Research Methods, 40(4), 1129-1133.
- Pretz, J.E. (2008). Intuition versus analysis: Strategy use and experience in complex everyday problem solving. Memory and Cognition, 36(3) 554-566.
- Pretz, J.E., & Totz, K.S. (2007). Measuring individual differences in affective, heuristic, and holistic intuition. Personality and Individual Differences, 43(5), 1247-1257.
- Pretz, J.E., & Sternberg, R.J. (2005). Unifying the field: Cognition and intelligence. In R.J. Sternberg & J.E. Pretz (Eds.), Cognition and intelligence: Identifying the mechanisms of the mind, (pp. 306-318). New York: Cambridge University Press.